Opportunities in Yorkshire for those applying to study for a PhD in Romantic writing. Via Ildiko Csengei.
The University of Huddersfield English Literature and Creative Writing PhD Scholarships
The University of Huddersfield is set in the heart of Bronte country, with good transport links to Shakespeare country, London, and the rest of the UK. English Literature and Creative Writing at Huddersfield has a strong international record of research excellence and is ranked fourth in the UK for the quality of its research publications (REF 2014). This international team has a diverse range of interests including British and American contemporary literature, Renaissance studies, Victorian studies, the Romanticism and the long eighteenth century, philosophy and literature, and the twenty-first century composite novel. Our research staff includes distinguished poets, novelists and script-writers who lead a cohort of creative writers. We are home to the Ted Hughes Network, which promotes the work and life of this important poet and those closely associated with him. We have a close connection with the Huddersfield Literature Festival. The University of Huddersfield’s unique location and excellent transport links make the UK’s vast public and private research resources easily accessible.
We provide our research students with excellent facilities, world-leading researchers as supervisors, and a vibrant research community. The University of Huddersfield has recently been awarded the Higher Education Academy’s Global Teaching Excellence Award 2017. Research students are provided with robust institutional support that includes training in areas designed to enhance employability and research success.
We are offering the PhD scholarships listed below to cover up to 75% of tuition costs for applicants with a record of excellent achievement and a strong research proposal. Additionally, we are happy to supervise strong applicants in any of our research areas.
- Ted Hughes Network Scholarship: proposals related to the work of the poet Ted Hughes
- The University of Huddersfield’s Contemporary Poetry Project Scholarship: proposals related to post-war British, Irish, and American poetry, especially the work of Philip Larkin
- The Lady Anne Clifford Scholarship in Renaissance Women’s Writing: proposals related to women’s writing in the sixteenth and seventeenth century
- The Canal and Rivers Trust Literature and Travel Scholarship: proposals exploring the intersections between literature and travel in the nineteenth-century
- The New Pastoral Scholarship: proposals engaging with any form of creative writing that explore aspects of nature writing in contemporary Britain
- Shakespeare and Renaissance Environmentalism Scholarship: proposals related to representations of nature in the drama of Shakespeare and his contemporaries, or the non-dramatic poetry of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries
- Eighteenth-century and Romantic Literatures of Feeling Scholarship: proposals related to affect, feeling or sensibility in eighteenth-century or Romantic literature, and the emotions of war
- The Life-course and Literature Scholarship: proposals with an ageing studies perspective in the study of contemporary literature and culture
- The Walter Haigh Scholarship in Late-Victorian & Edwardian Literary Studies
We welcome informal inquiries. Please contact the staff member whose research most closely aligns with your area of interest: more details here.
Further information here.