The William Blake Archive is pleased to announce the publication of fully searchable and scalable electronic editions of the following works related to Blake’s development of his illustrations to Robert Blair’s The Grave:
- Preliminary Sketches for Robert Blair’s The Grave, listed under Drawings and Paintings, Pencil Sketches.
- Preliminary Drawings for Robert Blair’s The Grave, listed under Drawings and Paintings, Monochrome Wash Drawings.
- Preliminary Illustrations to Robert Blair’s The Grave, listed under Drawings and Paintings, Water Color Drawings.
In addition, we are republishing the following works, previously presented in our Preview mode, to make their designs fully searchable:
- Robert Blair, The Grave, the 1808 book listed under Commercial Book Illustrations, Designed by Blake and Engraved by Other Engravers.
- Deaths Door, listed under Separate Plates and Plates in Series, Designed and Engraved by Blake.
- Illustrations to Robert Blair’s The Grave, the series of twenty finished designs, listed under Drawings and Paintings, Water Color Drawings.
Taken together, these works in a variety of media present a comprehensive overview of one of Blake’s major projects as an illustrator and exemplify his working methods as he developed rough sketches into finished water colors. The evolution of any one design can be traced via links presented under Related …read more