BARS members might be interested in this year’s postgraduate conference at De Montfort University, Texts in Times of Conflict. The Call for Papers is below and the organisers are actively seeking to include scholars with a wide range of interests and specialisms.
– — — — – — — — –
Texts in Times of Conflict (8 September 2015)
Keynote speakers: Dr Natasha Alden (Aberystwyth University) and Prof. Ian Gadd (Bath Spa University).
Reflecting on the seismic cultural and political shifts of his own time, Francis Bacon pinpointed ‘printing, gunpowder, and the compass’ as the technological drivers which had ‘changed the appearance and state of the whole world’. Bacon’s identification of communicative (print), violent (gunpowder) and technological (compass) forms of cultural expression and exchange as world-shaping continues to resonate, shaping the production and interpretation of texts.
We welcome papers of between 15 and 20 minutes’ length on topics including but not limited to:
- Textual and visual representations, interpretations of and responses to conflict
- Adaptations which respond to past and/or present conflicts (including conflicts within academic disciplines)
- Conflictual relationships between artistic, critical and intellectual movements
- Processes and agents shaping the design, production, dissemination and consumption of texts
- Theoretical and bibliographical methodologies
- Intellectual conflicts surrounding the emergence of new media and technologies
- Competing …read more