Friday 16th April, 2021
University of Nottingham, University Park Campus
The Romantic Reputations symposium team are excited to announce our free one-day interdisciplinary event at the University of Nottingham.
The Romantic movement continued (and continues) to resonate across time and laid the foundations for the modern world. We invite papers which speak to the theme of ‘Romantic Reputations’, interpreted however you choose. If your research discusses subjects such as science and innovation, the individual and society, and the environment and nature, contemporary discussions of these issues owes much to Romanticism. We also welcome papers responding to the theme of ‘Reputation’.
Themes which papers could address include (but are not limited to):
• The impact of issues which were prominent in the Romantic movement (science, society etc.)
• Themes of reputation in literature/art (e.g. characters’ moral reputations)
• Celebrity from the Romantic period onward
• ‘Forgotten’ figures (e.g. writers, artists, public figures)
• Adaptations and afterlives of Romantic culture
• Contemporary or historical reception of Romantic culture
• Public and/or scholarly perception of Romantic texts/arts, then and now
• Conceptions of the canon
As this is a PGR-run event, we would like to particularly encourage PGR/ECR researchers to submit abstracts. We would love to hear about the research you would like to share (including …read more