47th International Byron Conference
26 June – 3 July, 2022
The A.M. Gorky Institute of World Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences & The Maxim Gorky Institute of Literature and Creative Writing.
The theme of this conference is “Poet & Reader”, where Byron himself might be perceived as an acute
and genuine reader of texts composed in different modes and languages. There are also readers of Byron,
who were inspired by the poet’s brisk and alluring verse style and his commitment to liberty and freedom.
Famous writers, revolutionaries, philosophers, historians, artists, composers, travelers, and inventors
belong to the international community known as Byron’s readership. Some of them claimed that they had
learned English in order to read Byron in the original. Special attention will be given to the Russian
reception of Byron and his works.
The conference organisers welcome 20-minute papers on topics including, but not necessarily limited to:
- Byron as an avid reader
- Poets as readers and readers as poets (i.e. Byron, Goethe, Pushkin, Mickiewicz,
Lermontov, Merezhkovsky, Rimbaud)
- Byron and various scholarly theorists (i.e. Bakhtin, Foucault, Umberto Eco)
- Reading Byron as an Orientalist
- Byron for Western and Eastern readers
- Byron and scientific literature
- Byron, libraries and archives
- Byron reading women and women reading Byron
- Byron’s take on history and on historical figures
- Philosophers, artists and composers as Byron’s …read more