The British Association for Romantic Studies (BARS) would like to invite applications for a Communications Assistant to assist with the BARS Blog and social media for a period of one year tenable from June 2021. We are looking for someone with previous experience of using blogs and social media for academic purposes. This position is paid an honorarium of £500 and is open to all postgraduate students and early career researchers working in Romantic Studies anywhere in the world. This role will require around 1-2 hours per week.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leading and contributing to the BARS Blog series ‘On This Day’ and ‘Archive Spotlight’
- Proposing and curating new blog posts/series
- Delivering an active and strategic social media presence
- Attending online meetings with members of the BARS Executive Committee
The successful applicant will work closely with the Communications Officer, Anna Mercer, and the Blog Editor, Emily Paterson-Morgan.
This post is an excellent career-development opportunity for a PhD student or early career researcher. You will have the chance to develop valuable skills in the field of scholarly communications and to contribute to the BARS postgraduate community. You will gain valuable skills (website management, content creation and digital communications) which will be useful in academic and non-academic roles alike. We expect that this role will be held alongside other academic or professional commitments such as completing a research project and/or teaching, and we encourage flexible working.
- Postgraduate student or early career researcher
- Interest in British Romanticism and Romanticism more broadly
- A member of BARS or willing to become a member
- Previous involvement in writing or editing blog posts
- Experience of using WordPress
- Skilled in using social media for professional purposes, specifically experience of using Twitter and Facebook
To apply: please send an academic CV and personal statement (no more than 1 A4 page) explaining why you are best placed to undertake the duties above to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 June 2021. Informal enquiries can be directed to Anna Mercer email@example.com