The Stephen Copley Research Awards
Postgraduates and early career scholars working in the area of Romanticism are invited to apply for a Stephen Copley Research Award. The BARS Executive Committee has established the bursaries in order to help fund expenses incurred through travel to libraries and archives, up to a maximum of £300. A postgraduate must be enrolled on a doctoral programme in the UK; an early career scholar is defined as someone who holds a PhD (from the UK) but has not held a permanent academic post for more than three years by the application deadline. Application for the awards is competitive, and cannot be made retrospectively.
Successful applicants must be members of BARS before taking up the award. The names of recipients will be announced on the BARS website and social media, and successful applicants will be asked to submit a short report to the BARS Executive Committee within four weeks of the completion of the research trip and to acknowledge BARS in their doctoral thesis and/or any publication. Reports may also be published on the BARS Blog where this is appropriate. Previous winners or applicants are encouraged to apply again.
Please send the following information in support of your application (up to two pages of A4 maximum in word.doc format):
- Your full name and institutional affiliation (if any).
- The working title and a short abstract or summary of your PhD or current project.
- A brief description of the research to be undertaken for which you need support.
- An estimated costing for the proposed research trip.
- Estimated travel dates.
- Details of current or recent funding (AHRC award, &c), if applicable.
- The name of one supervisor/referee (with email address) to whom application can be made for a supporting reference on your behalf.
- The name and contact details (including email address and Twitter handle) of whomever updates your departmental website or social media, if known. And your own Twitter handle, if applicable.
Applications and queries should be directed to the bursaries officer, Dr Daniel Cook (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the University of Dundee. The deadline for applications is 1 February in any given year.