Conference and Seminar Support
BARS is happy to consider requests for up to £300 to fund conferences and seminar series. Applications will be assessed and funds assigned based on the originality and rigour of the conference or event proposal, its relevance for Romantic-period researchers and the extent to which the requested funds will improve the conference or event’s accessibility, particularly for postgraduates and early career researchers. Based on the fit with these criteria, BARS may award a lower sum than that requested. We are also keen to support initiatives that help to advance the career prospects of postgraduates and early-career scholars, and which have a public engagement aspect. Queries about this scheme can be directed to the BARS Secretary.
Who is eligible?
The applicant must be a member of BARS; if this is not the case, membership is available via the BARS website.
How do I apply?
Please send us:
- A statement of no more than 300 words describing how the conference or seminar series contributes to Romantic-period studies.
- The draft (or final) call for papers.
- An outline budget, including the amount requested and the use to which it would be put.
Send the information to the BARS Secretary, Dr Andrew McInnes (BARS.firstname.lastname@example.org).
What is the closing date?
There is no closing date for this scheme. We take applications throughout the year.
What are the conditions?
We require that you:
- Acknowledge BARS’ support on all promotional material (e.g. website and programme), including the BARS logo. This can be obtained below by right-clicking on the image and selecting ‘Save As’. The image below is large so as to be suitable for print production, but can easily be rescaled in common software like Word and Paint.
- Provide a brief conference report for the BARS Blog within six weeks of the conference taking place.
- Claim all money awarded by December 1st in the year that the money is awarded.
How will I know whether I have been successful?
The Secretary will notify you by email with the outcome of your application, normally within two weeks. If your application is successful you will be issued with a cheque by the Treasurer.