Want to write for the BARS Blog? Get in touch with a proposal for our series ‘On This Day’.
This series is about Romantic bicentenaries, and has been running since July 2015. We were inspired to create the series following the popularity on Twitter of the ‘OnThisDay’ hashtag, and we hope to present a catalogue of #OnThisDay blog posts that relate to literary and historical events from exactly 200 years ago. The premise of the blog is to give readers a snapshot of 1822 in 2022 (and on into 2023 and beyond!), relevant to that month or even that particular day. The series is also a part of #Romantics200.
The best way to get a feel of this series is to read our excellent posts from past contributors. You can see all the posts here.
Some upcoming bicentenaries in 2022 and 2023 include, but are by no means limited to:
- Franz Liszt, aged 11, debuts as a pianist in Vienna.
- Mary Shelley’s Valperga is published.
- John Hunt publishes Byron’s Don Juan VI-XIV., The Liberal publishes Byron’s “Heaven and Earth” and “The Blues”.
- Charles Lamb’s Essays of Elia is published.
- The Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland was established
- Byron sails to Greece to participate in the Greek Revolution.
- Matthew Baillie dies.
If you have an idea for a blog post about an event that happened On This Day but is not a bicentenary, please do still get in touch!
Contact: Francesca Killoran (Communications Assistant, British Association for Romantic Studies), firstname.lastname@example.org